3/18/10

Friends

This post is going to be a bit of a rant for me.  I guess, so that I can "talk" some of my frustration out instead of letting the person who said it get an ear full!!

I was recently criticized for not having many (as in a lot of) friends. (Obviously, they don't know about all of you! Wink wink!) First let me say, the one who said this doesn't know me from the man on the moon. (Whomever he is...?)  They know of me, we are acquainted, but they don't know me.  They have no idea what goes on outside of our church. (Ok, for all of you pastorswives, you know what this is all about!)

This is my "friend" breakdown: I have tons of acquaintances (people that I love dearly), some friends, and a couple of people that I could call in the middle of the night and they would be there to help me (or vise versa).

As Christians, Jesus is our role model.  Correct?  He is the one that we look to because it is He that we have been preordained to become the likeness of.  (Romans 8:28-30)

Jesus had many followers.  He had 12 close disciples, then He had 3 close, carefully chosen friends.  He spent a lot of time with "the three". 

Just this morning on Joyce Meyer's Enjoying Everyday Life (you can watch her shows by clicking on the link), Joyce was talking about this very thing.  She must have studied Jesus!!

Isn't it funny how some people assume that because they aren't your best friend, you must not have any?  I'll admit, I don't have a bunch of friends but I do have a few and that is just fine by me!! ;)

How about you?  Are you the kind of person who has tons of "friends" or a carefully chosen few?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have zero close friends that I could call in the middle of the night and a few friends and acquaintences. I am closer with my mother than I have ever been, as well as my sister - they are who I tell most everything to.

I also have a neighbor who is probably my mother's age that is a good friend. We sometimes go to breakfast on Saturdays and I help her with her grocery shopping - she's a sweet Christian woman who shares a lot of wisdom. I can pretty much be myself with her.

I find most of the women at my church and homeschool group are very concerned with buying their kids clothes from certian stores, putting them in lessons for everything, watching American Idol or "24", or other silly nonsense that bores me to tears.

Or they expect too much. Or I unintentionally insulted someone, and they didn't forgive me. Or they saw something "wrong" with one of my daughters and begged and pleaded to help fix her. Then there's the "friend" who couldn't find time to go somewhere with me, but she wanted me to babysit her always-sick child all the time - sometimes overnight - on a few hours' notice.

Besides, homeschooling and housework take up most of my time. I help teach a class of young kids on Wednesday nights. I'm involved in AWANA on Sunday nights. We have three girls and the oldest just turned 12...I have enough drama in my life! ;)

Miss Janet said...

Thank you for being so honest, Anonymous. Sounds like a hard time where you are as far as the homeschool group. The homeschool groups that I've been involved in haven't been "stylish" at all. Quite the opposite actually.

Are there any other groups near you?

Also, there is nothing wrong with being friends with an older or even an old woman. Friendship can definitely get past age!

Love,
Janet

Solid Rock or Sinking Sand said...

My close friend (inner circle) is my wife. I have lots of good friends that my wife and I fellowship with at church, but my "close friend" knows me best.

I really enjoy reading your blog. God bless, Lloyd

Beautiful Mess said...

Happy to count you as FRIEND!

I feel like I have a great balance of exactly who I need when I need because God always provides.

The close-now everything people are SO necessary. Accountability is key. No masquerading when you are KNOWN!

I like people-I care about people-so I generally am connected to many people--but close to only a select few :)

Love you! This was awesome and not my only "friend" post I read today--funny :)

Take care! Love, Jen

Angie Vik said...

Sorry you were on the receiving end of unfair criticism. It's really not anybody's business how many friends you have. I have a son and daughter who are very friendly and make good friends wherever they go. Then I have another daughter, who is only has a couple close friends and she's been friend with them for years.

Jackie said...

I just found your blog from Splashin Glory and I'm enjoying my visit. I don't have a lot of close friends just a few and that's okay with me too. I'm a follower now and I'm looking forward to more of your posts.
Jackie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...