8/20/10

How Much Is Too Much?

If only it were this easy!


Today is the BIG moving day.  Whatever is left in the house (like beds) we are moving to the farm house.  As I look around, I think... "Oh my goodness.  How much stuff is enough?"  Our family lives on the simple side compared to most Americans and I still think that we have too much.  I am a "thrower outer" so that does help.  It's not that I think we need to be poor paupers or live in a hut with only a pot to... cook in.

This is our third move in 2 1/2 years.  That's strange to me because when I was growing up we only moved once when I was about 5.  My kids have moved 4 times in 7 1/2 years.  Yesterday, one of them said, "Wonder where we are going to live after this house?"  At least they're taking it well!

Anyway, as we pack all of our stuff, I wonder how much is too much?  When do you say, we have too much stuff and start to throw out more?  I keep some things because we are renting.  Rental houses are usually smaller than a home would be if we owned it.  When we rent, we are usually settling on something rather than getting something that actually meets all of our needs.

I don't know... I'm just thinking "out loud".  Really, I'm procrastinating.  As soon as I finish my coffee I have to start packing the rest of our stuff!!

Thank you for hanging in there with me.

Many of you have said that you are praying for us.  Thank you, thank you, thank you!  May God send special blessings your way!  

3 comments:

Leslie {Goodbye, house. Hello, home!} said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leslie {Goodbye, house. Hello, home!} said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leslie {Goodbye, house. Hello, home!} said...

Hi Janet!
You got me thinking about stuff, again.
The question you posed is something I am always asking myself.
In fact, I have been thinking about "stuff" for a few months.
We have a large home, and 5 people used to live in it, now only 3 of us do, Full Time.
I am dying to downsize.
Over 20 years of marriage, we have moved 13 times!
But, have live in this house 9 years--so we moved almost as frequently as you have in the last 7 1/2 years--my heart goes out to you--but somehow I am envious, too, because it keeps our posessions in check and our trust in God in check.
Prayers for you today as you move.
I am sure you will have more lessons when the dust has settled and you find your pot to... cook in!
Hugs,
~me

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...